Yes, you read that title correctly. The Touhoumon Essentials Development Starter Kit has reached full release, Version 1.0. I cannot say how much of a trek it was to get here, and how good it feels to finally have finished what needs to be finished.
Restating the features from Pre-Release 1.1, Version 1.0 has the following:
- All Touhoumon from the various games and official works, barring 13 (At the present moment). VIVIT is also included. For those that have it, the evolutions work as simple as “Chibi-Normal-EX”.
- Moves from the 1.5x era of games, extracted directly from Touhoumon Aqua + Yui
- Icons for the Touhoumon, ported directly from 1.8. Some are missing, but the few that are did not exist in 1.8 games.
- Maribel and Renko are set as the protagonists; Their Overworlds, their Back-Sprites, Trainer Sprites, Map-Icon sprites. All are set in the development kit.
- Backgrounds for the Continue Menu are changed – they alternate between a Yin-Yang orb and a Mini Hakkero.
- The Title Screen graphic was changed to say “Touhoumon Essentials” instead of “Pokemon Essentials”
- Some Touhou Characters have Overworlds and Battle Sprites. There will be more later on.
- A mass of Overworld sprites were added. I can’t quite remember the source, but if I do, I’ll be sure to add it to the credits.
- All of the Orbs from Touhoumon are included, but they do not replace Pokeballs. They are there for those who wish to use either-or.
A few new areas were added for the sake of showing off the DevKit. They are as follows:
- Barrier Cave – It’s the linking maps between the Pokemon Essentials maps and the Touhoumon DevKit maps. You also battle 5 trainers there in order to gain access.
- Border’s Edge Village – The main place where the Touhoumon DevKit will be featured. Currently mild, but will improve in later versions. Features the DevGym, and the first working example of a Hotel system.
- Dilapidated Shrine – A wild battle area with an old Shrine. If you go up to the shrine’s door and examine it, your Pokedex will be upgraded to National Listing.
Other Features/Overlooked Features
- Official Development Credits – You can examine one of the signs by the Pokemon Center in Border’s Edge Village and it will start playing them. (The song used for the credits is 童祭 ～ Innocent Treasures)
- Flash Video Player – You can examine one of the signs by the Pokemon Center in Border’s Edge Village and it will start playing the flash video. The example flash is [S] Lloyd: Enter from a Homestuck fan-session.
- The Pokedex now differentiates between Pokemon and Touhoumon. Everything that has an ID number beyond 386 in the Pokemon.txt file is classified as a Touhoumon.
- Various instances of the word “Pokemon” were phased out for a more neutral pronoun (Eg. “Party”, “Species”, “Target”)
- There is a VERY brief, VERY rough version of the intro to Touhoumon Faith & Prayer Version. It does not advance past the Introduction phase of the game, and is not in a playable state. IT IS NOT DESIGNED TO GO ANY FURTHER AFTER IT SAYS “ACT 1”, AND WILL LOOP THE BATTLE WITH RED REPEATEDLY.
I believe that is everything that is featured and showcased in the Starter Kit. If you have any questions pertaining to the Kit, I would have no objections to answering them. Please remember to double-check before you report an issue, and that this is not a Pokemon Hack. This was designed for RPG Maker XP, so in order to use it, you will need to have downloaded and installed RPG Maker XP onto your computer. I will not respond to questions asking why it won’t run if you are trying to run it on Visual Boy Advance or any Game Boy Advance/DS Emulator.
With all of that out of the way, here are the download links to the DevKit. Please remember to give credit to myself and the developers of Pokemon Essentials when using it.
Thank you for reading all this, I hope you enjoy the DevKit!